We envision an institution of excellence in sustainable fisheries development and management providing quality to its stakeholder 2016.
- To contribute in achieving food security for the Filipino people and improve quality of life of fisheries and aquatic resources;
- To empower fisheries stakeholders enabling them to adapt to changing environment condition and global trade and regional fisheries management regimes;
- To improve productivity of fisheries and aquaculture within ecological limit.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) started as a Division of Fisheries in the Bureau of Science in 1907. On January 1, 1933, it was made a part of the Fish and Game Administration under the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce. It was organized as a Bureau of Fisheries on July 1, 1947 under Republic Act No. 177. On March 20, 1963, R.A. 3512 reorganized it into the Philippine Fisheries Commission. On September 21, 1972, the integrated reorganization plan of the government took effect and the Philippine Fisheries Commission was reverted to its original name as Bureau of Fisheries. By virtue of Presidential Decree No. 461, which was signed on May 17, 1974, the office was renamed as the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources under the Ministry of Natural Resources.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Region 02 is one of the sixteen (16) regional offices of BFAR and is known as the Cagayan Valley Region. It was established in 1935 with its office quarters located at Punta, Aparri, Cagayan until the outbreak of war in 1941. After the war in 1944, the office was housed at Mr. Sofronio O. Alveza’s residence until it was moved to the northern wing of the Municipal building in 1957. Then in 1971, the Regional Office building was constructed at Maura, Aparri, Cagayan, where its personnel were housed until June 1975. In compliance with the Integrated Reorganization Plan, which placed Tuguegarao, Cagayan as the site of all Regional Offices in the region, the Regional Office was transferred to Tanza, Tuguegarao, Cagayan renting a building for the office until June, 1986.
In July, 1986, BFAR Regional Office was merged with the Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Regional Office No. 02, Nursery Compound, Tuguegarao, Cagayan as Fisheries Division and with the issuance of Executive Order No. 116 dated January 30, 1987, it was fully integrated with the Department of Agriculture. The enactment of R.A. 7160 or the Local Government Code of 1991 paved the way for the devolution of BFAR Extension Officers and some Administrative Staff to the Local Government Unit. Full implementation of which took effect January, 1993.
On February 25, 1998, President Fidel V. Ramos signed into law Republic Act No. 8550, entitled, “An Act Providing for the Development, Management and Conservation of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, Integrating all laws pertinent thereto and for other purposes,” otherwise known as the Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998. This law took effect on March 23, 1998. This code is very significant as it provides for the reconstitution of BFAR as a line bureau under the Department of Agriculture.
In 1999, the newly reconstituted BFAR moved out from the office building of the Department of Agriculture Regional Field Unit No.2 and rented a house and an apartment in Caritan Sur, Tuguegarao City to become its Regional Office No. 2.
In 2000, BFAR started to construct its Regional Office building in Carig Sur, Tuguegarao City. In summer of 2001, gradual transfer of BFAR Regional Office No.2 was done until the building was completely finished in 2002 at its present location, which is at the Regional Government Center, Carig, Tuguegarao City.
At present, BFAR Regional Office No.2 consists of the two-story main building with a wide roof deck, which houses the Offices of the Regional Director and Assistant Regional Director and five (5) divisions namely: (1) Administrative and Finance; (2) Fisheries Resource Management; (3) Extension; (4) Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation; and (5) Fisheries Regulatory and Quarantine. Annexed to the main building is the Atty. Malcolm I. Sarmiento, Jr. (MIS) Hall with four (4) fully furnished guest rooms. Adjacent to the main building are: (1) two-story Supply Unit and ICRMP Office with four (4) dormitory rooms to accommodate transient staffs; (2) Fisheries Information Technology Center (FITC); (3) Clinic and Physical Fitness Room; (4) General Service Office with Motorpool and car wash; (5) Fish Health and Fish Processing Laboratories; (6) Daycare Center; (7) Multi-purpose Hall with complete state of the art facilities. At the entrance gate is a guard house, where guards-on-duty stay and where the bioclock is located where the daily time of personnel are recorded. Also within the office compound are shaded garage for vehicles, mini swimming pool with grotto and plant nursery, water tank structure, and power house. The surrounding lawn of the regional office is well-landscaped and with “bahay kubos” depicting the Filipinized facade of the office.